sennder is digitizing Europe’s logistics. We are a growing team looking for a Senior/Lead Software Engineer (Backend) to help us on our journey to revolutionize road freight logistics. You would join our Discovery (pod) team in Berlin or in our new Tech Hub in Barcelona.
The Discovery team strives to facilitate the discovery of truck loads through our Marketplace as a means to maintain the carrier’s truck as busy as possible to help them grow and have profitable tours. Our team also takes care of one of the core pieces of sennder’s brokerage system to match carriers with shippers, the Bidding Service. The latter contains the business logic to execute the bidding actions in the Marketplace and connects to other services in sennder’s microservice architecture.
We value humility and we’re as interested in your character as we are in your talent. Please apply, even if you feel you only meet part of our listed criteria. Diversity drives our innovation and we offer a collaborative, dynamic and international work environment. Just be yourself. We are excited to meet you and for you to join us in shaping the future of the logistics industry in Europe.
As a senior / lead software engineer, you’ll have an opportunity to create a substantial business impact by building new products, features and services that delight carriers across Europe. You’ll contribute to the architectural vision and technical direction across the whole Discovery team, delivering on the roadmaps and increasing team velocity whilst innovating, applying best practices and helping your colleagues to grow.
Can you even imagine where we can go with your help? Let’s #KeepOnTrucking… together!
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL…
- Serve as a lead for our team’s backend engineers, have open discussions and come up with solutions for our engineering and product initiatives, while maintaining an agile and lean approach that allows us to scale.
- Collaborate with staff engineers in evolving the architecture of our brokerage system, specially when related to the Bidding Service.
- Work closely with product, design and operations to improve the user experience for our clients.
- Participate in growing a solid microservice and micro frontend architecture , we are in the process of introducing service mesh, stable interfaces, and contracts for API, metrics etc.
- Prototype and develop new major and minor features. We need strong engineering expertise and sharp original thinking to make the right choices.
- Create documentation and testing to maintain high quality of our products.
- Be an active member of the developers community and promote best practices in engineering and collaboration between teams.
- Contribute to the creation of technical design documents together with the rest of the team in preparation of quarterly planning.
- Contribute in sennder innersource projects.
PREFERABLY YOU HAVE…
- Have 4+ years relevant experience, ideally in microservice development, architecture and communication.
- Have experience leading a small team (up to 3 people).
- Are a talkative person which doesn’t shy away from exposing their views and challenges the status quo when required.
- Have experience with Python. Knowing NodeJS is a plus.
- Have experience with FastAPI or Django and are familiar with using typing in python.
- Have experience with SQL databases. PostgresSQL is our DB of choice.
- Experience with technologies like ElasticSearch is nice to have as we will need to scale the Marketplace in the near future.
- Proven practical experience with different architectures, patterns, and programming paradigms.
- Practical skills with AWS, Docker, and modern CI/CD.
- Good communication skills in English.
WE EXPECT YOU TO…
- Be confident about the code you have written because you have been SOLID, YAGNI, DRY and make unit testing part of your profession.
- Know how to balance applying clean architectures (onion, hexagonal, etc) and being pragmatic.
- Be mindful about your craft, “keep your saw sharp”, learn ways to improve your work, processes, and remove mundane routine by scripting and automation.
- Be passionate about doing great work, and pragmatic about getting things done.
- Be driven by data, build small prototypes to test assumptions, and do not buy into the latest hype and shiny labels. Linus Torvalds once said: ”Talking is cheap. Show me the code.”
- Be the person people aspire to work with - willing to help others and share expertise.
sennder is moving trucks with the power of data to unlock endless and sustainable capacity at unparalleled quality. Through our proprietary transportation operating system, built by our in-house tech teams, we not only connect shippers to our fleet of thousands of trucks, but also improve how they move products in sustainable, cost-efficient, and transparent ways - making the logistics industry fit for the future. In a traditional industry, we’re growing and moving fast to digitally automate all road logistics processes.
We are building a curious team that is driven by an ambitious desire to solve the toughest logistics puzzles. What others may consider uncertainty, we see as an opportunity to learn and be proactive. We invite you to go on this journey with us and be part of one of Europe’s inspiring growth stories as we fast-forward road logistics into digitalization. Get to know us, our culture, green business, funding history, and more on our blog here.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT
At sennder, we want to maximize the individual’s potential for all employees and reinforce an inclusive culture and environment of continuous learning that empowers people to succeed as a team. In addition to humility, we value commitment, team spirit, respect, and kindness to build trusted relationships across teams. Learn more on our career site.
- A fast-growing, start-up-oriented international team of 1000+ people with 65+ nationalities spread across 8 country offices with English as our company language.
- Continuous feedback and bi-annual review process for personal development, professional growth, and career opportunities. We also use “Objectives and Key Results” for company goals.
- A structured promotion process, providing everyone with fair and transparent career growth.
- Learning and development opportunities on the job and through conversations with your manager.
- Various opportunities to connect with colleagues, formally and informally, digitally or in-person (when allowed), through regular team events, company get-togethers, and partnership events with other companies and local organizers.
- Flex/hybrid remote working options.
- When in office: unlimited snacks, drinks, and fruits.
- All interviews are currently conducted on a remote basis.
Please send your application HERE in English and help us reduce negative unconscious bias by leaving out your picture, age, address, and other unnecessary information in your CV. We only want to know the merits on which you’d be great for this role.