Investigating Digital Crimes using Python

Gajendra Deshpande

Abstract:
A recent study by the CheckPoint Research has recorded over 1,50,000 cyber-attacks every week during the COVID-19 pandemic. There has been an increase of 30% in cyber-attacks compared to previous weeks. Cyber forensics is a field that deals with the investigation of digital crimes by analyzing, examining, identifying, and recovering digital evidence from electronic devices and producing them in the court of law. In this talk, we will learn to use Python for the investigation of digital crimes.

Bio:
I have delivered talks at SciPy India, PyCon FR/HK/TW/KR/AU/Africa,
EuroPython, COSCUP Taiwan, BuzzConf Argentina, PiterPy Russia, and
JuliaCon. I use Python extensively for teaching and research. My major
work includes using Python to develop prototypes
in the field of Cyber Security. I lead PyData Belagavi and OWASP
Belagavi chapters. I love to mentor students and volunteer at Free and
Open Source events.

Por favor, preguntas en inglés. Si no puedes, por favor, déjala en español y la intentaremos traducir. Gracias.

1 me gusta

If some data is volatile and is lost when the system is switched off, how can one ensure the integrity of the data?

1 me gusta

The standard procedure is to collect evidence in the order of volatility i.e., from most volatile to least volatile… To avoid data loss system state must not be changed i.e., on to off or off to on. Once the evidence is collected we can use cryptographic hash function to check for integrity.